Telnet is a very useful text-based tool for those who need to access other computers and devices on a network and manage them accordingly. However, many Windows 8 users have tried to run the program only to find it’s not there. Instead, users are met with an error message stating, ‘not recognized as an internal or external command’.
There’s no need to worry as this application is available in Windows 8 but it does need to be installed and enabled.
To install Telnet on Windows 8 / 8.1,
- Open the Control Panel
- In the top right corner of the menu change the “View by” option to “Programs“.
- Under Programs and Features select “Turn Windows features on or off“
- In the dialog box that pops up, look for “Telnet Client” in the list and then put a check next to it.
- Press “OK” and the installation of the client will begin.
- Now you can use the command just as you did before!